Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Snack

When I was a teen visiting my cousins in Iowa, they were amazed that we had lemon trees in our front yard, at my San Fernando Valley Home.  It hadn't occurred me to me that while trucks brought lemons to the Midwest for lemonade and meringue every summer, they had never seen a lemon tree.

Orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit and tangerine trees are commonplace in the yards of many Los Angeles homes.  An outgrowth of the citrus truck farming that was prevalent, particularly in the San Fernando Valley.  More so, the planting of these trees was one of many inducements to migrants to Southern California, the dream of sunshine all the time and the option to step out your back door and within moments be enjoying fresh squeezed orange juice.



Blogging LA takes notice that our wacky winter with extra rain and a warmer than usual February has led to a bumper crop of citrus in LA backyards.  What a wonderful opportunity to whip up your own take on Alton Brown's delicioso lemon meringue pie or, if you're feeling extra festive, serve up some frosty margaritas from scratch with local LA limes. (And here's my tip for awesome margaritas - freeze the glasses well before mixing up the drinks).

. . .

In other news, Zuma Dogg celebrates the fifth anniversary of his first foray into public comment at City Hall.  Stop by and give him a hoody hoo!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill Haller said:

Michael, my question is "Why did Alton bail on the crust?" I can't serve my kids pre-baked crust. They'll think I don't love them.

April 10, 2011 8:19 PM  

Anonymous Los Angeles Honda said:

Oranges are also delicious in salads and especially for some fresh home grown juice. However I think the ultimate Los Angeles snack has to be In N Out Burgers.

April 11, 2011 4:43 PM  

Anonymous g said:

YOU NEED TO TALK ABOUT REAL STORIES NOT THIS DRIVAL. THAT'S WHY YOU NEVER WILL BE CREDIABLE!!!

April 13, 2011 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement